Sunday, October 20, 2013

Hi Everyone!  This has been a very busy week.  This was the week that we completed the Vision Project.
We had lots of people in town, including the eye doctor from Draper (works in Provo) Dr Todd Engen.  He came and gave training to the vision doctors here.  I was even allowed in the operating room and took some pictures.  I am not cut out to be a doctor!
After 2 days of training and teaching operating procedures to doctors from all over Montenegro, we had a closing ceremony and the hospital had called a press conference.  Here is a picture.
The camera's are at the end of the table where you can't see them.  They were very appreciative of the Surgeons chair and large operating microscope LDS Charities had donated to the hospital.  Now the patients will not have to go to Serbia for this kind of surgery.

Foods served after the press conference....Such a variety of items, I took pictures but there are too many to post here






We took a break the next day and went sightseeing with some of our guests. At the top of the mountain is Njego's Mausoleum, and his last wish was to be buried here at the top of the mountain.
 We felt like we were on top of the world!
 Kotor Bay in the distance...
The town below the mountain is Cetinje and is the old capitol of Montenegro and wonderfully historic.  The white is not snow but white/gray colored rocks forming part of the mountains.

This mountain, Lovćen is located in one of the national parks in Montenegro and is only about a 35 minute drive from our home in Podgorica...but then you have to drive up to the peak.  Another 30 minutes and you wouldn't believe the road!  But it was all worth it for these pictures! 

We had to take a dip in the sea, but Russ thought it was too cold in mid-October so the sissy took the pictures.... :)  The couple with us are Randall and Rebecca Stay who are our directors from Frankfurt.  It was so wonderful to meet them for the vision project and then play with them afterwards!  Small world, they know the Seavers we met in Nauvoo and Ted Valentine is his Uncle. 
We swam for about a half hour and then wanted to get on with the sightseeing!

We visited this wonderful old church in old town Kotor.  A cruise ship was in town so it was very busy.

Well, now we are back, our company has left us and we need to get back to work on several of our open projects.  Final delivery of the firewood for the refugee camps, 2 delivery beds for the hospital in Bar, a wheelchair ramp for the Red Cross headquarters here in Podgorica and a new order of wheelchairs to be donated to the Red Cross and they will give them to people who need them at no charge all over Montenegro.



3 comments:

  1. What a great experience! I'm with Dad-- I think I would have been taking pictures too :)
    I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What grand adventures you are having. I am with Russ though. I would be taking pictures also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...exciting times for you two and it looks like you are doing a lot of good! Beautiful pictures, too. Carry on :)

    ReplyDelete